The lymphatic system is part of the circulatory system, and also plays a big part in the immune system.
Doing its job as an adjunct of the circulatory system, it consists of lymphatic vessels which recycle blood plasma back to the heart as lymph fluid. Lymph fluid is recycled blood plasma.
Lymph is a clear fluid which carries white blood cells (lymphocytes) that are made in the thymus, bone marrow, spleen, tonsils, and parts of the small intestines. These are known as lymphatic organs; which have lymph nodes: collections of tissues through which the lymph passes on its way to returning to the heart.
It plays a major role in the immune system, as the lymphocytes are responsible for clearing infections and tumors that can arise. It is crucial in the prognosis, diagnosis and treatment of cancer.
The lymphatic system, because it is enmeshed in many tissues of the body, is responsible for carrying cancerous cells between various parts of the body. The intervening lymph nodes can trap the cancer cells, or if they are not successful in destroying the cancer cells, the nodes may become sites of secondary tumors.
The functions of the lymphatic system include :
- recycling excess blood plasma back to the heart for reabsorption
- removing excess fluids from the spaces between the cells (aka interstitial fluid) thus clearing them of toxicity, swelling and stagnation.
- absorbing and transporting fatty acids and fats from the small intestine to the liver for processing
- moving white blood cells to and from lymph nodes into the bones for immune system support
How does Lymph Drainage Therapy (LDT) Work?
- Lymph drainage therapy is a specific type of massage which is used to clear and move the interstitial fluid between the tissue spaces of the body. Gentle, rhythmic circular movements are used to pump the lymph back towards the heart.
Why Use Lymph Drainage Therapy?
- Lymph Drainage Therapy is excellent in removing swelling, toxins, and inflammation from the tissues and the spaces between them. Movement is life, and the lymph fluid is crucial as an agent of the immune system in protecting the body from disease.
- It helps restore the biological rhythm of the lymphatic fluid that helps detoxify and regenerate the body’s tissues. Lymph Drainage Therapy shifts cellular stagnant pools of disease to clean, harmonious waves of lymph fluid coursing through the circulatory pathways, creating tissue transformation.
Lymph Drainage Therapy Treats:
- Post surgical swelling/scarring from liposuction, face lifts, cancerous tumors, organ removal
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic Inflammation
- Chronic Stress
- Liver Toxicity due to poor diet, medications, anaesthesia, chemotherapy
- Improved Skin elasticity
- Poor breathing
- Compromised Immune System
- Chronic Fatigue
Ula is currently involved in the study and practice of Lymph Drainage Therapy (LDT) with The Chikly Institute ( www. chiklyinstitute.org), founded by Bruno Chikly, M.D.
Lymph Drainage Therapy is a gentle approach that moves the lymph fluid, which acts as a cellular waste disposal system for the body’s immune and circulatory systems. It’s ideal for inflammation, infections, edema, postoperative healing and more.
The triad of CranioSacral Therapy, Visceral Manipulation, and Lymph Drainage Therapy are cutting-edge modalities that are gentle,safe, and effective for all ages.
She uses these manual therapies on their own or in tandem with each other with superb results, customizing each treatment according to the client’s needs.