Massage can be a deeply relaxing, fulfilling experience. Yet it’s not just a luxury: it is also a real medical intervention that promotes physical and mental health. The human connection between a trained massage therapist and his or her client offers benefits that cannot be proffered by machines or medications. These benefits – which can be seen after even one session–have been established by numerous studies. Those effects are increased and reinforced by a repeated course of massage therapy.
The Benefits of a Massage Session from Your Philadelphia Craniosacral Therapist
- Lower Heart Rate and Blood Pressure. Massage will temporarily lower your heart rate and blood pressure, increasing effective blood flow and your sense of wellbeing. When relaxed, it is easier for your body to heal quickly and overcome stressors.
- Reduce Anxiety. A single “dose” of massage therapy has proven effective for reducing what’s called “state anxiety”—your current sense of anxiety about your circumstances, mental or physical state.
- Relieve Pain. Massage has long been prescribed for pain relief, especially for back pain and musculoskeletal injuries. It is associated with increased healing and recovery times. The mechanisms for this are unclear, but may be caused by the release of endorphins and serotonin stimulated by massage.
Naturally, the helpfulness of massage increases in effectiveness with repeated sessions. That is why our Philadelphia craniosacral therapist works with you to create a personalized treatment plan that will give you the full benefits of massage therapy.
- Greater Anxiety Reduction. While a single session will help reduce “state anxiety,” an extended course of massage can help reduce “trait anxiety”—that is, your general tendency towards anxiety can be lowered. Some studies have found massage as beneficial as psychotherapy, especially when guided by the care of your physician.
- Lifting Depression. Like anxiety, repeated sessions of massage therapy have similar effects on reducing depression, comparing favorably to psychotherapy.
- Continuing Pain Relief. A massage therapy regimen can assist in coping with chronic pain, especially lower back pain, and can provide pain relief that continues beyond the session. Patients who continue with massage therapy often find their general experience of pain is lessened over time, and that their bodies heal more quickly from injuries and illness.
Stillpoint Holistic Studios: Philadelphia Craniosacral Therapy Provider
Licensed as a traditional massage therapist in both Pennsylvania and New York, Ulla Katsoulis has studied many whole-body healing techniques around the world and specializes in Craniosacral Therapy in Philadelphia. What sets her apart from other craniosacral practitioners? Ulla promises to listen to you, her client, and to treat you as a person. It’s her mission to help each of her clients to find a personalized path to living pain-, stress-, and anxiety-free. If you’re struggling with chronic pain and stress, visit the Stillpoint Holistic Studios website to find out more about how we can help you.